Thursday, July 10, 2008

Digital Natives vs. Digital Immigrants

The main point that I got out of this weeks resources for class is how technology is driving education today. Many educators did not foresee the explosion of technology coming when they started their careers. The students of today have literally grown up with computers and all kinds of new gadgets. This gap between the two groups is dangerous and it essentially amounts to a language barrier. We as educators need to embrace the technology because it is not going anywhere soon. I find myself caught in between the two groups of digital natives and digital immigrants. I have used technology somewhat from grades K-12, but I did not own a computer until after I finished my undergrad. I have more skills than a older veteran teacher, but not nearly enough as students today. I need to find a comfortable balance because although technology is great, it can be extremely time consuming. It is interesting how two groups can be so far apart on a subject. The only comparison I could make is that learning technology is like learning a new language. It is tougher when you are older. You need to accept that you need to learn it and keep at it.

No comments: